Master Craftsman Bob Vokey and his pioneering R&D team continue to shape the future of wedge design with the introduction of the new Titleist Vokey Design Spin Milled 7 wedges.
Available in golf shops worldwide beginning March 9, the new Vokey SM7 wedges provide all golfers the opportunity for a better, more confident short game through craftsmanship, technology and performance.
Vokey’s prior generation SM6 models ushered in a new era of wedge innovation and performance with their groundbreaking Progressive Center of Gravity (CG) design. The advancements made with SM7 – already the most played wedge model on the PGA Tour, with four SM7’s in the bag of Jordan Spieth – further widen the performance gap between a Vokey and all other wedges.
Improving in all three areas of wedge performance, new SM7 models provide increased shot versatility with expanded fitting options, improved distance and trajectory control and more spin through the following key advancements:
• WEDGE FITTING: Through his collaboration with the world’s best shot makers, Bo Vokey’s six tour-proven sole grinds – F, S, M, K, L and the new D grind – allow golfers of all skill levels to be precisely fit for their swing type, shot making style and course conditions.
• F-GRIND: Full sole designed primarily for full swings and shots hit with a square face. For that reason, F is the only grind available in the 46º-52º models. The 54°/56° F Grind is the most played sand wedge on the PGA Tour.
• S-GRIND: Designed based on feedback from Steve Stricker, the S is best for square faced shots with a touch more versatility than the F Grind. Simple mechanics are best with this wedge.
• M-GRIND: “Voke’s” favorite, the M grind is designed for players that like to rotate the club face open and shut to manufacture shots around the green.
• D-GRIND: The player’s high bounce wedge, the new D Grind offers high measured bounce with the crescent shape of the M Grind for shot making versatility.
• K-GRIND: The highest bounce wedge in the lineup, the K Grind is the ultimate bunker club and the most forgiving wedge in the lineup for all shots.
• L-GRIND: The L Grind features a narrow crescent shape allowing maximum green side versatility, but it is the least forgiving wedge in the lineup.
Finely tuned Progressive Center of Gravity locations improve trajectory and distance control while creating the best-feeling Vokey wedges to date.
A concept pioneered by Vokey R&D, Progressive Center of Gravity aligns the CG with the impact position of each loft to produce precise distance and trajectory control with exceptional feel. Engineered using cutting-edge CAD technology, Progressive CG is visible technology on the back of the wedge.
Advanced testing of SM6 models showed an opportunity to enhance the CG locations within SM7. The Vokey R&D team pushed the locations even further – higher on the high lofts and lower on the low lofts – to produce more consistent performance with noticeably better feel at impact.
100% inspected Spin Milled grooves cut at even tighter tolerances deliver more spin (up to 100rpm more spin on average). Bob and his team identified the opportunity for an additional Spin Milled cutting process for plated wedges (Tour Chrome and Brushed Steel) as compared to the raw offerings (Jet Black and Raw). This new method improves upon Vokey’s industry-leading groove cutting tolerances, resulting in a more precise cut by finish and more spin in the plated wedges.
A proprietary heat treatment is applied to all Vokey Design SM7 wedges, resulting in longer lasting spin through the life of the wedge.
NEW SM7 FINISHES:
The SM7 wedges are available in three finishes: Tour Chrome, Brushed Steel and Jet Black. Tour Chrome retains its popular bright chrome finish. The darker Brushed Steel finish is richer and slightly more polished when compared to the Steel Gray offered in SM6, while maintaining a non-glare finish in the playing position. The raw Jet Black has been enhanced with black paint fill in the logos and graphics, inspired by requests received on tour by Vokey Tour Rep Aaron Dill.
Available: March 9
MSRP: $149 MAP
If you like what you’ve seen and read in this post and would like to help us make more content like this please consider JOINING HERE for free or following Canadian Golf Magazine on Twitter @canadiangolfmag and Instagram @canadiangolfmagazine.
Sharing on social media always helps, too.